End Gun Violence
It’s a public health crisis.
One life lost is too many.
Ensure Housing Stability
Housing is a human right.
Keep Oaklanders housed permanently.
Increase Career Opportunities
Close the widening
wage and wealth gaps.
Healthy communities thrive.
Like so many District 7 residents, I have personally been impacted by the trauma and cycles of senseless violence. The safety of our community requires a robust strategy. We must continue to address the triggers and root causes of crimes such as poverty, mental illness, joblessness, and substance abuse. As your Councilmember, I will work tirelessly to:
- Increase funding for violence prevention, intervention and healing programs. Including, funding violence interrupters trained to outreach and mediate potential conflict in our community.
- Work with city leaders, community members and the Oakland Police Department to build police-community trust, with transparency, accountability, ongoing training, equitable protocols, practices and constitutional policing.
- Advocate to redirect more funds from county and state agencies to partner with Oakland to fund workforce development and community service programs that help improve life-safety outcomes in District 7.
Homelessness and Housing Stability
We live in one of the most expensive cities in the state and across the nation. Too many families in Oakland are being displaced as housing prices and rents soar. East Oakland is one of the most impacted areas in the City, with the greatest number of residents evicted and displaced. As your Councilmember, I will fight to ensure longtime and new residents can reside harmoniously in the City we love by:
- Working to pass and enforce existing tenant protections to keep East Oakland residents permanently housed.
- Collaborating with regional partners and local organizations to increase housing solutions; including securing funds for safe shelter locations and services for those unhoused.
- Improving upon existing policies to build deeply affordable, low-income housing to ensure our most vulnerable residents remain housed.
- Supporting the process to uncover and fully invest Impact Fees, to put the money to work where it’s needed most, now.
- Advocating for tax abatements, increased federal and state funding for subsidized low-income housing and affordable home ownership programs.
Economic and Job Opportunities
We are becoming a City of wealth or poverty and we must close the widening wage and wealth gaps in Oakland. I will work on City Council to ensure East Oakland residents receive equitable investment and resources to:
- Redevelop the coliseum area to attract and retain businesses that will provide good living-wage career paths for East Oakland residents.
- Continue supporting the East Oakland Job Center and workforce training programs.
- Protect and progress the economic stability and vitality of businesses impacted by the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Project.
- Increase business investment along Hegenberger and the International Boulevard Corridors in East Oakland.
- Ensure policies created for the opportunity zones protect existing businesses, increase entrepreneurial opportunities and economic empowerment for East Oakland residents.
Healthy communities thrive with safe, clean environments, access to nutritious food and high-quality schools, which improves attitudes and encourages more active, vibrant lifestyles. To ensure the overall well-being of District 7 residents, I will work on City Council to:
- Address the impacts of illegal dumping of trash and abandoned vehicles.
- Assure bond funds to improve pedestrian and traffic safety are used for their intended purpose.
- Support ongoing maintenance of roads, community parks and recreation facilities.
- Collaborate proactively with Oakland Unified School District to address educational gaps and support the overall success of our students.
- Support strategies to improve community health, emergency preparedness and reduce exposure to environmental hazards.